Welcome!

Hi and welcome to my little blog! Please feel free to make yourself at home, have a good look around and leave a comment if you would like - I enjoy reading them!

Wednesday 27 April 2011

What Not to Say to an Infertile

I have decided to keep a log of every insensitive, mean or downright ridiculous thing anyone says to me about ttc or infertility, and what I wish I had said back to them; hopefully it will be somewhat therapeutic -_-

(After a failed cycle)
Me: I'm so upset the Clo.mid didn't work, I'm going to be the only one left who isn't pregnant :(
My mum: Nevermind, you have a wedding to plan!
Yes I do, and obviously that precludes me from thinking about, wanting, or needing anything else in life! THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!??>£"$

(During my "off" cycle due to a cyst)
Me: Luckily I've had all the honeymoon arranging to take my mind off of it
MIL-2B: Well sometimes that can work to your advantage
REALLY?! So my body is going to magically start working for the first time just because I've been thinking about something else?! AMAZING! What was I bothering with all those drugs for??

(From my pregnant SIL-2B when she found out I had PCOS)
SIL-2B: Well I was once told I couldn't have kids so I know exactly how she feels
Apart from the bit where you got pregnant without trying you mean?!

(My dad while I was playing with my BFF's baby)
My dad: See, all you need to do is get your ovaries sorted out and then you can have one of those!
Ahhhhhh is that all? Why didn't you say so before! 

(Pregnant friend who would complain incessantly about not being pregnant even though she and her husband only had sex once or twice a month - she finally got preggo after about 8 months of "trying" even though for about half of that they didn't have sex at the right time. Her benchmark for ttc lengths was her sister, who got pregnant first time on both tries)     
Chum: I know it took us a bit longer than most people, but you'll get there
Good grief, how did you honestly cope ttc for 8 months?! You deserve some kind of medal. And of course, you got there - and against all the odds it would seem - so that means I will too, I'm obviously making a big fuss out of nothing!

(Me fussing about on the sofa because of lumpy cushions)
Me: I just can't seem to get comfortable today
Dad: Are you pregnant?
Me: long pause No -_-
Dad: Oh, coz I've been hearing recently that that's a cause of it (He was referring to my nearly-8 month pregnant sister, who I haven't seen or spoken to since the news broke)
That's a cause of it if you have turned into a gargantuan heifer because you've been stuffing your face throughout the pregnancy.   

(During my "off" cycle due to a cyst, and after 2 failed Clo.mid cycles)
Chum: You never know, you might just get lucky and be pregnant in May. I have a friend who also has PCOS and she got pregnant on her first try when she came off the pill - maybe your first try after the treatment will be similar?
Well, I have a friend who has PCOS who hasn't been able to have a child despite years of trying and many different drugs; how do you know I won't be just like her?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment